Artistic Research and Legacy Trainee at Lomography (m/f/x)
HQ Vienna, traineeship
Are you a meticulous researcher with a deep appreciation for art and history? Do you possess profound organisational skills and a keen eye for detail? This traineeship is the perfect opportunity for a student or recent graduate with an affinity for the arts, who wishes to develop their research and organisational skills, contribute to a culturally-rich legacy, and utilise the experience as a valuable resource for their own academic pursuits.
Lomography is a globally active organisation dedicated to experimental and analogue photography. Originally established in 1992 by a group of offbeat students as an arts movement, but fuelled by fiery passion and burning curiosity, the Lomographic Society soon grew into an international venture.
Now, as we celebrate over 30 years of Lomographic history, we’re looking for an Artistic Research and Legacy Trainee who shares our passion! Your role will be vital in rifling through decades of company documentation, popular media, and academia to assess its artistic and scientific relevance, ensuring our legacy continues to inspire future generations of Lomographers.
- Thoroughly review and contextualise over 30 years of company documentation, popular media, and academia.
- Assess the historical, artistic, and scientific relevance of the reviewed material.
- Conduct interviews with founders and key personalities from our company history to capture invaluable insights and narratives.
- Conduct research on academic platforms to identify and review scholarly papers and articles relevant to Lomography.
- Enter relevant findings into a designated database.
- Digitally archive materials for easy access and further utilisation.
- Work closely with our creative and technical teams to streamline the archiving process.
- Current student or recent graduate in Art History, Archival Science, Cultural Studies, Media, Communications, or a related field.
- Excellent organisational and research skills.
- Proficiency in database management.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Passion for art and photography, with an interest in the history and science behind it.
- Fluent in English, additional language skills are a plus.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to contribute to the Lomography legacy and immerse yourself in the exciting world of photography and art.
- Use the traineeship as a foundation for your own academic or scholarly work.
- Exposure to interdisciplinary projects combining art, technology, and humanities.
- Learn the ins and outs of photography.
- Test all the Lomography gear you’ve ever dreamt of – and more.
- Be a part of a young, international team that enjoys the occasional after-work socialising.
- Work on an array of interesting new projects – ensuring there’s never a dull moment.
- Work in the vibrant and lively 7th district in the heart of Vienna.
- A Lomographic welcome package to kickstart your journey with us.
- Voluntary traineeship
- Start date: October 2023
- Duration: up to 5 months. Upon successful completion of the traineeship, candidates may be considered for other opportunities within Lomography.
- Compensation: 500 € per month
- Please note that this internship requires EU-citizenship (mind transitional provisions), citizenship in the European Economic Area, Swiss citizenship, Working Holiday Visa or a standing work permit for Austria. To be considered, make sure to include the relevant information in your application!
If you’re searching for a role in a dynamic, culturally-rich organisation and are keen on a position where you can both develop your skills and take on new responsibilities, we’d love to hear from you. Apply here – include your English CV and cover letter – or send your application directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and please wait to be contacted by us.
Vienna has been declared the most liveable city in the world by Mercer and three times by The Economist; we couldn’t agree more! International, affordable, culture all around, this city has a lot on offer. From countryside vineyards to summer swimming spots, with plenty of old Viennese cafes around to sit and read after visiting one of the many art spaces. Also voted as World's Greenest City, you can easily while away your spare time at one of the many city parks. The Lomography HQ is located in the lively 7th district (Neubau, the namesake of one of our cameras) where all the analogue magic happens. There’s a camera shop on every corner and its historical architecture houses many independent boutiques and record stores in a cool urban environment. What’s more, the extensive public transport makes everything just a stone's throw away!
What we do at Lomography
We’re committed to keeping analogue alive and helping our international Community capture the curious world we live in. We offer an ever-expanding range of experimental analogue goodies including innovative films, cameras, instant products, lenses & photographic accessories on our Online Shop and through a global network of retail partners. In addition to selling analogue gear, we publish daily tipsters, tutorials and interviews in our online Lomography Magazine and host a Community Site where Community members can upload their images and interact with over 1 million fellow Lomographers worldwide.
What we stand for
The Lomographic Society International is a globally-active organization dedicated to analogue, experimental and creative photography. Our team comes together from all over the world and we are all different. It’s really important to us that everybody feels welcome at Lomography. We think diversity is a strength and inclusion should be meaningful in order to provide equal opportunities for everyone.
What working at Lomography is like
We offer jobs in various departments with quick promotion opportunities and a wide range of benefits, not least access to all the fun Lomography gear you could ever dream of! English is our working language amongst a friendly team comprising over 15 different nationalities – everyone has a place at Lomography! Each of us brings something new to the team and we all share a common passion for photography. Every career path is unique and offers the opportunity to gain new perspectives and knowledge.
Where can you find us?
With our HQ in Vienna and subsidiaries located in London, Paris, New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Manila – you can choose the destination of your dreams. We're happy to help you when relocating to any of the places that you’re drawn to and wherever you end up, our international team works together so you will be able to engage with colleagues and Community members from all around the world.
How do you apply
Don’t be shy! Browse through our job postings and feel free to tell us all about your passions, strengths and experiences. Feel free to share your photos with us if you are an analogue enthusiast or any other creative project that you think we might find interesting. Let us know why you want to contribute to Lomography’s legacy and we will get back to you as soon as possible. We’ll aim to get back to you within one week with our feedback!
Which team fits you
We have several different in-house departments including marketing, design, programming, copywriting, product development, finance and administration. We strongly believe in training talents in all areas and you will definitely learn something new at Lomography. Rest assured: we will find a department that fits your ambitions!
What the hell is Lomography?
Established in Vienna in 1992 as an artistic movement – fuelled by fiery passion and burning curiosity – today, Lomography designs, manufactures and distributes analogue cameras and accessories to photographers around the world. We are a creative and globally present company with our headquarters located in Vienna, along with various subsidiaries all over the world.
Still haven’t found what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, Lomography is always on the lookout for motivated people to join our team. Send your resume to email@example.com and let us know what role you’d be interested in.